Project title : Strengthening of Safe MR and Family Planning services and Reduction of Unsafe Abortions for Improving SRHR Situation in Bangladesh (Safe MR Project)
Project Period : From 01 January to 31 December 2020
Implementing Partners : SRHR Consortium of Bangladesh. The members of the consortium are: Reproductive Health Services Training & Education Program (RHSTEP) and Association for Prevention of Unsafe Abortion, Bangladesh (BAPSA).
Goal : The Goal of the project is to improve Sexual and Reproductive Health Rights (SRHR) and wellbeing of women and adolescents in Bangladesh.
Purpose : The purpose of the project is to contribute in reduction of Maternal Mortality, morbidity from unsafe abortion and improve the SRHR situation of women and adolescents in the project areas.
Objectives :The objectives of the project is to
- improve access to MR and PAC services;
- improved availability of SRHR services to youth and adolescents;
- generate increased demands for SRHR services among the catchments area population;
- strengthen advocacy and policy dialogue to sustain enabling environment for safe MR and SRHR services and SGBV;
- Generate and disseminate evidence for improved SRHR services and Policy influence;
- Strenghtening ICT for transparency, accountability and better managementof the project;
Achieve sustainability of the SRHR Consortium partners
Project Location: BAPSA is working in 04 districts of Bangladesh
Major Activities of the Project: Major activities of the project consist of two categories of services;
a) Clinical services and
b) Non-clinical services.
For improving the reproductive health of the underserved urban and rural population, BAPSA for the last two decades providing quality reproductive health care services through its nine clinics. Three clinics are located in the Mirpur area of Dhaka City and other six clinics are in Kamrangirchar of Dhaka, GazipurSadar&Boardbazar of Gazipur, Begumgonj of Noakhali district, Bangalhalia of Rajsthaliupazila, Rangamati district and Lama of Bandarbandistrict of Chittagong Hill Tracts (CHT). The services provided by the clinics are as follows:
- R Refresher Training for the FWvs/SACMOs
- R. Counseling
- R. Services
- Post M.R. Contraception
- Contraceptive Services for Non-M.R. Clients
- Follow-up of Contraceptive Services
- Genera Health Care Service
- Maternal Health Care or Safe Pregnancy Services
- Management of Abortion Complication
- Management of OB/Gyn. Problems
- Via Test
- Pathological Services
- Adolescent Reproductive Health Care and education at the school/madrasha and community.
- Awareness and counseling services on STI/RTI/HIV/AIDS.
- MR and other BCC
Based on the past experience, BAPSA under this project carried out some other non- clinical activities as they are closely related with the improvement of M.R. program and prevention of unsafe abortion in the country. The non-clinical activities are as follows:
● Liaison and Organizing M.R. Training
● Orientation of Front Line FP Workers on Prevention of Unwanted Pregnancy and unsafe abortion in the country
Publication of Health & Rights
Now sexual and reproductive health and rights are the core of the human live, whether rich or poor. In this backdrop on behalf of the SRHR Consortium Health& Rights is being published by BAPSA with close collaboration with RHSTEP. It has been aimed at to publish more related information on SRHR and pertinent issues and update the SRHR service providers. In the reporting year a total of 3 issues of Health & Rights have been published,6,000 in English and 18,000 in Bangla . It is being distributed among the health professionals of home and abroad.